Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Power of Introverts

I want to write about introverts because in our society, we introverts tend to be forgotten or ignored. Here is the link on the power of introverts: . I am pride to be an introvert. It's who I am. Let's discover more about introverts. Here is a list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney:

Top ten myths about introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

My response: Yes, it's so true. I don't like small talk. Though, I do use small talk to warm up the conversation and the information I gather helps me with to continue the conversation. I just don't like small talk with random people.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy. Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

My response: I am shy only in certain situations where I'm not familar with the crowd. I tend to suffer a mild case of social anxiety. When you see me in a large crowd, I would find people I know or they seem familiar and just listen. Yes, I need a reason to interact with others. If there is a topic I really know about, I would start talking.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude. Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

My response: Yes, I crave authencity and honesty. It's very exhausting to hang out with fake people who just interact for the sake of interacting and just talk non-sense.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people. On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

My response: I love people. It's just that I prefer to spend time with family and friends individually or in small groups. I'm at my best for interaction in one to one. I've been told that I talk too much. Hey, when I am talking about something I know and care about, I can talk for hours. Not many people get the joy to hear me talk for that long. Yes, I am very loyal to the few close friends I have. However, I do have a lot of friends.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public. Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

My response: So true! I love to go home and process whatever experiences that just happened. Like tonight, when I went to the Davis Graveyard with a crowd of people. It took about 45 minutes of my time. I'm home now and I just processed my experience and put it in my memory bank. I love to go out in public to experience new things so I have something to think and process about. With Gardiner's Multiple Intelligences, I have a strong intrapersonal intelligence.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone. Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

My response: This explanation is so true! I don't mind to be alone to think, daydream or whatever. However, I do love to share my discoveries with a dear friend. It's part of my process. Earlier tonight, my friend Tammy called me and I shared a lot on how I am doing in grad school and what discoveries I picked up from life and my readings. My close friends have picked up when I get so excited, I can get loud.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird. Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

My response: Yeah, that's me. Though, when I was younger, there were pressures to follow popular beliefs and trying to fit in. That was a normal part of adolecense. Though, even as a teen, I did continue to follow to my own drum. I didn't go into dating just because many of my peers did. Actually that's so true in my 20s. I'm comfortable being single and just live my life. Who knows? Maybe in the future, someone may come my way and he would value my introvert side which I would love. Right now, I am living an enrich life with my own projects and spending time with family and friends. I don't need anymore than that.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds. Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

My response: That is true to a point. But I love people watching and making up my own stories. I do secretly desire to become a writer so I keep my observational skills sharp by paying attention around me when I'm out in public.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun. Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

My response: When I relax at home or in nature, I recharge so when I'm in public, I can interact with people with the energy I need. That's so true about too much talk and noise. I do shut down and I would lose my focus in whatever task I'm doing. I don't like loud chaos situations. However, I've been working on dealing with that because truthfully, we live in an extrovert world where their strengths are valued.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts. Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ. A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers.

My response: In the past, there were people who wanted to change me. They said I need to be more outgoing and join in random conversations in group settings. That was so much pressure. I've been told that the teaching profession isn't for me if I can't be an extrovert. That is so untrue. I tend to show my extrovert side when I'm around children. However, I do have my introvert moments with them and this encourages the children who are naturally introverted too. It's when I entered adulthood was when I appreciate who I am. I am a pride introvert.

Source: http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

No comments:

Post a Comment