Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Quiet: The Power of Introverts, Part 2

Last Thursday evening, it was my last ESOL methods class and being with the Cohort V elementary folks. It was a good last class. I turned in my last two assignments. I presented a 20 minute presentation with my partner on Strategies of Literacy Development from the 50 Strategies book on ELLs and teaching them. I think our presentation went well.



Last Wednesday I finally got to check out Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (2012) and I have been reading this book the last several days. Her book is speaking to me. I learned so much about the unique gifts of introverts. In some ways, I knew what they are but to know more in-depth ways on how we can contribute to our world is fascinating. Along the way, I learned to cope with living in this Extroverted-loving world. However, I love the tips she shares in bringing out the best of your introverted children.

Here are two quotes that jump out at me from Cain's book:

From p. 4, "Introversion--along with its cousins sensitivity, seriousness, and shyness--is now a second-class personality trait, somewhere between a disappointment and a pathology. Introverts living under the Extrovert Ideal are like women in a man's world, discounted because of a trait that goes to the core of who they are. Extroversion is an enormously appealing personality style, but we're turned it into an oppressive standard to which most of us feel we must conform."

From p. 249, "...don't let her hear you call her 'shy': she'll believe the label and experience her nervousness as a fixed trait rather than an emotion she can control. She also knows full well that 'shy' is a negative word in our society. Above all, do not shame her for her shyness." I can relate with that quote because I was labeled shy and bashful. Sometimes in my childhood, it was hard to really connect with people. However, one in a while, I did make a good friend here and there growing up.

Here's another Susan Cain interview:

No comments:

Post a Comment