Saturday, October 30, 2010

Where should I go to Grad School?

This month, I researched some local universities in the Portland area to get my masters of arts in teaching. I've been to a few informational meetings. Though I am ruling out University of Portland and Lewis and Clark College since I know they are very, very expensive. Here is the list of places I checked out:

1. Concordia University in NE Portland (This is my second choice school.)

Pros:
*Lovely, beautiful campus
*Love the small community feel
*Solid MAT program that is finished within 11 months as full time status.
*1 faculty advisor per 12 student teachers
*Get waived application fee (they signed my application so I don't need to pay the fee)

Cons:
*More expensive than the others I checked out__$30,000 full time
*Commute 30 mins from my home
*Not able to retain my current part-time job

2. Portland State University in downtown Portland
(Note: They call their program as Masters of Education--dual method as in getting
an initial teaching license as well as getting the title M.ED for the resume.
This is my safety net school.)

Pros:
*Cheaper price for 1 year full time program...$516 per credit (grad level)
*So about 57-61 credits to finish the masters
*Higher chance of letting me in because it's a state school and able to more slots open
*It's in downtown so I can take the bus (about 15 mins) to campus

Cons:
*Don't know how much the whole program cost...the rep pointed me to the financial aid office...don't have appointment to see a financial aid officer so I didn't have time to wait in line to make an appointment
*1 faculty advisor per 30 student teachers...so not much personal attention...how well can this advisor know how to shape us as teachers of tomorrow?

3. Marylhurst University (15 mins south of Portland)
(Note: I'm really like this school and their MAT program. To me, it's my top
choice.)

Pros:
*Beautiful campus just only 15 mins outside of Portland
*A small, cohort program structure to support your learning
*Historical university, one of the oldest in the state of Oregon.
*18 month program...start at the first term in a school...in the last spring term, you get to be a sub to gain more experience but also get your foot in the door for future employers to want to hire you.
*An 18 month (six-term) program to give each MAT candidate extensive experience to understand school routines and procedures(so I won't burn out compare to the other 1 year full time programs)
*A program curriculum that gives each MAT candidate advanced teaching skills in reading and ESOL instruction (continuation of these courses connect with their M.ED program so with them,you can continue with earning the Master of Education of Reading or ESOL instruction or even both)
*Intense support from a mentor during the program and during your first year of teaching
*Classes are done in the evenings, some weekends and online while we are expected to be in a classroom during the day...they built up...I think the first term, you are there one full day...by student teaching time, you're at the school full time (the same hours as the classroom teachers).
*I can keep my part-time job at my first year of grad school...plus the campus is close to the elementary school I worked at...about 15 mins away if there is no traffic.

Cons:
*The program is still pricier...about $25,000
*There are usually about 40-45 people each year in their MAT program. What if I don't get in? I don't want my hopes up.


So next week, I have more research to go on. I have to write out all my questions and email to the contact people to get some answers. There is some pressure because one deadline is coming up real fast.

Deadlines for applications:
1. PSU: Dec. 1, 2010 for the Summer 2011 start
2. Concordia: Jan. 10,2011 for the Summer 2011 start
3. Marylhurst: March 1, 2011 for the Fall 2011 start

No comments:

Post a Comment