Thursday, August 1, 2013

Portfolio Presentation: Stacey's Journey

The last few days I wrapped up my portfolio and turn it in to my adviser. The portfolio are just samples of my learning artifacts from my M.Ed program these last two years such as a research paper (for Child Development class) and the Adolescent Development Matrix as well as the portfolio reflection paper (more like a journal style). The last six weeks has been crazy as I pull this portfolio and place these documents in a USB portable drive. If I bring out all the paper work, there would be a lot of paper, costly, and a heavy binder.

I have been very nervous these last couple days on my presentation. I didn't really practice the whole thing until this morning. I have practiced bits and pieces for a week now. I went onto campus early and I found an empty room. I practiced my presentation using a SMART board. My gosh, my presentation looked cool using Prezi and the SMART board. I had fun practicing. However, my adviser told me that my presentation is in a basement room. There was no SMART board. But there was still a screen and computer.

Today I presented my portfolio. I mean I couldn't share everything I put in my portfolio. I had only 20 minutes to synthesize and reflect on my learning these last two years. This is my Prezi presentation:.
I know I could do a lot more with Prezi but I only had a short time to learn. I kept my presentation basic. Personally it took me years for me to understand how to use Powerpoint for a good presentation. Though, Prezi is the futuristic way to present information. Warning, if you're not careful, you can cause motion sickness. Finally, I had two witnesses there including my caring adviser Lynne (she has to be there since she's grading my portfolio). I received some praise afterwards.

Here is a quick down on each section of my Prezi presentation:

Introduction: Hello, my name is Stacey Moy. I come from a Chinese background. My parents immigrated to America from Hong Kong. They were part of a sizable mass group who migrated to Oregon in 1980 where there were many opportunities such as work and school. I was born in the early 80s.
In the education background, I summarized my educational history and how it relate to my desire to be a teacher. There were two AHA-moments when I had experience teaching that encourage me to go to the education route as a career path. First experience, I talked about the time I was able to tutor a few ESL classmates in 8th grade. Now my second example is when it was after I finished high school and I was only 18 when I had a chance to teach a small kindergarten class at a summer school managed by a family friend. I feel like I talked about these two instances on this blog or somewhere else.

Guiding Question: I talked about how this question came to be when I took my Service Learning course in Spring 2013. How can my compassion be used beneficially, productively and appropriately in my professional career?

Mission Statement: It's just a bit practical broad idea on how I can answer my guiding question. I am big on being respectful, kind, helpful and cooperative.

MAT/M.Ed Courses at Marylhurst University: Many of the courses I have learned a lot and I have had thought certain concepts at a deeper level. I enjoyed learning about the best ways of learning and teaching. I mentioned four courses that stood out and how they helped me build better skills to serve students and how they build my foundation for my professional career. For example, I refined my research skills in a practical way in the Action Researcher course. The skills I was able to work from that course, they are useful for many organizations.

Conclusion: These last two years, I gained knowledge and refined existing skills and learn new skills. I am building a stronger foundation for my professional career where ever it may lead me. There are four areas I would like to explore as my next steps. The four areas have something in common; they have an education base. I'm a big education person. I believe that education open doors and no one can't take it away if you lose all of your material wealth. Anyway, my immediate next steps, I plan to volunteer working with adolescents for the 2013-14 school year. I spent many years working with elementary students. It's time to broaden my knowledge and skills. By working with adolescents, I will push myself outside of my comfort zone and develop skills to be a better educator. I want to be seen as a K-12 educator. In addition, I still am going to continue to work at the after school program and I will entering my seventh year this Fall. I want to continue to be a positive supporter in a community that I already belong in.

No comments:

Post a Comment