Saturday, February 11, 2012

I Love Math (almost)

Every session for my math education course, we get to do math. Back when I was growing up, I wasn't taught math in a way that engaged me. When math got confusing, I quickly learn on memorizing formulas so I can do the math. By doing this, I didn't understand reasons why solving these problems to the relationship in patterns, concepts at a deeper level, the true ability to understand abstract math and so much more. Back in kindergarten and first grade, I did enjoy doing math by counting, adding and subtracting with manipulatives. Second grade math started to feel so hard. I feel that I spent years of memorizing math rules from second grade to second year algebra (during my 12th grade year) that I used up my ability to memorize anything nowadays. I was able to relatively pass as a good math student.

In my math course this term, we are learning the problem solving strategies in teaching math. It's so new to me. I wish all my teachers taught me math this way so I could really enjoy doing abstract math since I really connected with it and know where I can use them. I am interested in getting a more in-depth and intensive training in teaching math this way. It may take longer to get students to learn math but the benefits of a problem-based teaching is perseverance, creative thinking, critical thinking, analytical thinking, team work, collaborating and so much more. It also gives students a chance to practice the language of talking math and be able to write out their strategies to solving math problems.

Anyways, today in class we covered a lot since class is 4 1/2 hours long. First, I understood fractions in a way that I should have learned it back in elementary school. I was able to understand part-part-whole and comparing different fractions and how some can be the same. It's hard to describe it on here. If you ask me in person, I might be able to explain it to you better. Another thing we got to play around with the SMART Board. It's all so new to me. I had a crash course on it last term at a two hour session. I need time to play and discover the SMART board before I could use it as a teaching tool. I love feeling smart when I answered a fraction problem using virtual pattern shapes. We even get real pattern shapes to play around with. Manipulatives are a powerful way to connect students to see patterns in math and understand many math concepts to better prepare them for abstract math.

This course is still challenging me as a math student. I'm starting to love math again since I get to play with math and use my thinking skills to really try my best to solve story problems. The math challenges (actually used by real elementary students for math assessments) is kicking my butt. I failed to get an accurate answer for both challenges. Today I got #3 and this one is for fourth graders. Maybe this time I will get the answer correctly and explain myself with the best academic English that I can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment