Friday, July 1, 2011

YES, I PASSED!

Good news! I checked my unofficial CBEST scores online today. I passed the writing section with 41 points. Wow, it's higher than I thought. The minimum passing score would be 37. So my overall CBEST score is 129.

Praise God! It's very funny how my dream came true. I mean a week or several days before the unofficial scores to be revealed, I had this dream as in REM sleep status that I passed the test. In that dream, I was sitting around a big conference table and I turned to a fellow cohort next to me and said, "I can't believe I'm here. I passed the CBEST. It took me 6 tries." This time I was prepared better with the help from a fellow co-worker's husband who is a high school English teacher. And I also leaned into God more. I mean in the past I did trust God. But I think God has used this trying experience to get me be more trusting in Him as well as being stronger. Thank you to my supportive friends who encouraged me.

Any day now I will received my official permanent verification card (saying I passed the CBEST) and two transcript copies of my permanent verification card (for official use for school districts, colleges and universities). Next week I will have to deal with getting myself admitted fully and get financial aid rolling. But this weekend will be relaxing and end it on the 4th having a bbq with my family. Have a good 4th!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Hey, I just failed my CBEST writing part again. I felt so bad because it is my 4th time to take the writing part. Could you share some tips for the CBEST writing part? What is the difference that making you success? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lin Li. It took me six tries to pass the CBEST, most of those tries where on the writing section. You can pass. Keep trying. Keep practicing writing essays and have a good friend who is strong in writing to help you out. When I past the CBEST last summer, I had a little help. One of my co-workers's husband is a high school English teacher who also teaches college writing tutored me.

    For the CBEST writing, it's pretty formulaic. I hope you take the writing section by computer because it helps. You can just free write everything on a pad. Type all that info into the computer. Edit your work. Revise if needed. Focus at correcting one thing at a time. Reread to continue with another correction. These essays follow the 5 paragraph papers that 5th graders learn here in America. Don't forget to have topic sentences starting each paragraph.

    I believe in you. If you're passionate in being in the education field, you need to be in it to better serve our young people. Please update me on how you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very impressed with your perseverance! You earned it!
    I hope I can maintain the same grit you showed after each attempt. I will be signing up for my 2nd attempt soon.

    ReplyDelete