Thursday, April 14, 2011

Under Pressure...My 5th Try at CBEST Writing Test

Last night, I barely could sleep at all. I had like 5 hours of sleep. This morning I woke up around 5:20 am. I didn't want to be up that early. I planned to wake up at 6 am. I left the house about 6:55 am. I drove to Beaverton where my computer-based CBEST test would be. I was there about 7:30 am. There were a few people waiting in the room. I had to leave my belongings in the locker. Only thing I could bring with me is the locker key and my drivers license (one of my forms of ID). I was getting so nervous. I prayed and calmed myself. Before I could check in, I had to read the directions about my conduct before, during and after the testing.

The sign-in process was multi-step. First, I had signed an electronic signature. Next, both my palms were read by the pad that goes into the computer. Apparently to help identify me while using it as my time marker (when I registered, signed in and out of the test room). Then my photo was taken by a digital camera on a stand. I was sent to wait at a spot until the administrator could check me into the testing room. She told me to come up to the desk. My right palm was scanned. She asked me if I wanted any earplugs and I said "yes." She handed me a notepad, a marker and the ear plugs. She let me know that there are video cameras recording each tester at all time which included sound. It started to feel really intense. We entered the room; I saw several people at their computer station. Each station was private with the sectionals between each one. The administer reminded me that I can't erase what I written on the notepad so I should raise my hand and she will come in with a new notepad. She left me alone.

I sat down and put in my earplugs. I needed silence so I won't get distracted by the other testers. (By the way, the test site is also for other tests including college entrance exams and SATs. So everyone there was not doing the same test.) I had nine minutes to read the testing directions. Next I started the exam. I had only 4 hours to do two essays--persuasive and personal narrative. In the beginning, there was directions about how to take the CBEST by computer. That time was part of my overall testing time. Urg!!! I had to waste my precious time to read the directions so I know how to navigate the test. Well, it took me just a few minutes for me to understand the process. The first essay was persuasive. The topic was easy for me to answer and support with evidence. I wrote in the notepad the outline and ideas of what to write for the essay. After I knew what I wanted to say, I started typing my essay and revised it soon after. It took me about a little over an hour for the first essay. I flagged the entry for later review. This portion of the written test I was fine.

The second essay was the personal narrative. In the past, I had trouble with the essay topic. I didn't have enough information to make a real essay as well as not enough time to really develop it. I failed this portion four times already. Today is my fifth try for the writing section. This time I feel confident that I will do better. I just need four more points for me to pass the writing section. I have been brushing up on my grammar. I even signed up for a creative writing course this Spring through Parks and Rec/SUN program. So far I attended two classes. Another thing, I also practiced the personal narrative essay the last two days. I will share with you another time. It's about my grandpa who I called Gong Gong. Returning back to the testing, I also brainstorm on the notepad. I was able to type up and revise the second essay in about 80 minutes. This one took longer. I also flagged this essay for review later.

I went back to the first essay. I scrutinize my essay as best as I could. I made some corrections. I looked at the time and realized that I had only 25 minutes left. I quickly hit "next." I had to let my first essay go. I know I tried my best. I spent the last 25 minutes correcting any mistakes that I caught with the second essay. I was freaking out when time was quickly ticking away. I really want to do well on this portion since I had failed four times already. With only 30 seconds to spare, I was done. I signed off of the program. I raised my hand to indicate that I am ready to go. The administrator came to get me. I handed her the notepad and pen. We went back to her desk. My right palm was re-scanned. She hit a button to have the sheet of paper reported that I completed the test. She told me to pick it up at the front desk. Before I was able to pick it up, both my palms was re-scanned as well as I signing my signature on the electronic pad. After that was done, I went to my locker and got my things. I left the key attached to the locker.

As I was leaving the building, it was raining. It has been raining all day with some short breaks. The Uwajimaya Japanese store was right next door. I headed over there to browse around quickly. I headed to the deli to order lunch. I brought one big bbq pork bao, a medium sized veggie bao, and a can of soy milk. I drove to work. Before I entered my work place, I ate my delicious lunch in my car while listening to the radio.

I really want to pass this test. Thanks to everyone who prayed or offered support the last few days. I should get my score at least 10 days from now. (Just let you know in my blogs, my grammar won't be perfect. I do revise them a couple times before they are published. I don't have time to make my blog entries perfect. I know they are clear enough for people to understand what I am trying to say.)

1 comment:

  1. I can relate so much to this thing. I am also not very good at writing and I am planning to take help of some good service. It will also give me time to practice LSAT Sample Questions. If I improve in writing then I am definitely going to clear my law exam as well.

    ReplyDelete