Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Taking a long-term approach is okay

Last week, my online class was discussing social change as a long-term approach. Here is what I said:One thing comes to mind on what walls I hit was when my dream of becoming a classroom teacher. I thought I can serve the public children by being an elementary school teacher. Things weren't coming together and twice I was diverted from that dream. Now I realized I have grown from how this dream isn't meant to be. I feel I have gotten closer in my relationship with God during these personal and professional struggles. I am learning how to be more self-compassionate. I still do see myself as a teacher and an educator; however, it would be different from what I thought for years. Right now I'm in discovery mode in where I will go professionally. Isn't it exciting? Now I can relate to older teenagers who are trying to figure out what they want to do after high school and which career path to start out on.

Yes, I believe that the local school (I'm doing my service learning experience) would need a long-term approach to really made positive social change for their students. Though each year, I feel that the administrators, teachers and staff should focus on one area to improve on. It can be overwhelming to make too many changes in a short time and they don't usually last. Over time I feel with that approach, all students will be educated based on Best Practices standards. Of course, they should start with what their strengths are and add with skills needed to better educate the students. I learned that researchers have proven better modes of teaching and learning so it's up to the educators to keep up with that. These educators need to figure out which strategies would work best with the students. (Just an add on: I believe classroom teachers can be action researchers. They can test out strategies to see what works best for their students and share the results within their school community. When teachers share their best strategies to each other, I feel students benefit the best.

As for me, this lecture reminds me that it's okay to take a long-term approach. Sometimes the stress of our society about making changes in a short time creates an anxiety in me. Since working with children all these years, my patience has grown so much. I come from a culture (Chinese) who are hard workers and sometimes we don't mind how long it takes. Sometimes there will be sacrifices in our own part to make our dreams happen. Though I am learning that self-care can't be sacrifice if one wants to live a well life and still be a social changer and a positive influence within one's community. Since starting at MU, I realized that I'm a social changer and I'm learning the tools here to prepare me professionally and personally. Anyways, I don't mind the journey and I'm learning that good changes do take time.

No comments:

Post a Comment